Leadership Classes Currently Offered at Cuesta CollegeLeadership 253
- Peer Counseling
- Units: 2.0
- Prepares students to assist other students with issues and problems facing many college students, including self-acceptance, problem solving/decision making, and interpersonal relationships.
- 253 Syllabus
- Student Leadership
- Units: 1.0–3.0
- Provides membership opportunities in the Student Senate with additional leadership experiences in the planning/implementing of student activities and services. Students can initiate on-campus or off-campus community projects and programs.
- 262 Syllabus
The leadership program provides a variety of opportunities for students to challenge their perceptions of leadership and guide them to a new way of critically thinking about their own leadership potential.
Courses offered can be used towards earning Certificates of Completion in either Leadership Studies or Service Leadership.
Many of the courses offered in this division concentrate on learning how to: develop the leader within, raising self-esteem, improving critical thinking skills, experiencing greater self-awareness, increasing self-motivation, developing mutually supportive relationships, problem-solving/decision making techniques and helping others. Courses are interactive and experiential, offering many hands-on opportunities for field work and practicum experiences outside the classroom.
Check the current class schedule for course offerings.
Student Learning Outcomes
After participating in the leadership program (courses) or being involved as a student leader, students will:
- Understand leadership as a process and reflect on how values and experiences affect how they choose to serve and lead.
- Be able to integrate leadership competencies with practical experiences.
- Be able to think ethically and critically.
- Be able to make individual decisions and participate effectively in group decision-making.
- Develop a personal philosophy of leadership, social responsibility and civic duty through demonstrated involvement in activities or completion of course/internship.
The purpose of the Cuesta College Leadership program is to strive to assist the student population in the development of programs that serve and actively involve a wide range of students. Opportunities for multi-faceted personal growth are extended to students through student government (ASCC), participation in shared governance, leadership development courses, peer education courses, community internships, volunteer experiences for college credit, clubs and organizations and campus events produced by the students themselves.
The intent of the program is to develop individual, vocational, avocational, written, verbal, artistic, and interpersonal skills with high emphasis on self-esteem and self-concept. It also helps students to gain exposure to a breadth of cultural, social, and intellectual perspectives of the world beyond the local community through some of the following:
- clubs and organizations reflecting diverse political, career, cultural, and social interests
- student informational forums
- movie and/or coffeehouse productions
- ethnic celebrations
- credit and non-credit courses, workshops, seminars, and retreats
- speaker series programs
- recreational programs and activities
- entertainment series
- peer education experiences that allow for voluntarism on campus and in the community
- services that promote academic success