Welcome to Nutrition 210 Online!
Instructor: Cherie Moore
Fall 2012 Students:
This Welcome Letter Will Be Updated One Week Before the Semester with Moodle and Connect Plus Information (and the activated textbook link)!-DONE!
Nutrition 210 is offered as a 100% on-line course, which means that ALL class work and exams will be completed outside of the traditional classroom. There are NO mandatory meetings. Nutrition 210 is taught by Cherie Moore, M.S., and full-time nutrition instructor at Cuesta College.
Do This First:
· Save this page as a Favorite/Bookmark so that you can easily find it again.
· Print out this page so that you will have the detailed instructions of course material requirements and how to login.
· Read and follow this page carefully and as soon as you enroll in the class (through myCuesta). You will also enroll in Connect.
· You will be responsible for reading all of the information on this Welcome Letter and the course site.
· No late assignments are accepted and the class moves very quickly.
You will need to access both Moodle AND Connect for this course!!
Please do not get stuck in just one or the other! Know what these two represent!
Read the instructions below carefully.
What to Buy:
· Contemporary Nutrition-A Functional Approach, McGraw-Hill, Edition 3, 2012.
This course requires the use of an online interactive ebook that includes interactive Connect assignments and the Nutrition Diet Analysis (NutriCalc3 Diet Analysis Version 3) program. All of these are available in one purchase online for $68.00 plus tax.
How to Purchase Your Materials ($68.00):
Connect Plus (Course interactive online text book with instructor notes, assignments, and some grades)
You will be able to purchase Connect Plus one week prior to the course beginning. You will not be able to access the site prior to this time.
To purchase your online textbook and register for Connect, click on the following link and follow the directions. Under the “Need Help Registering” section, click on “How to Buy/Access Online” for a helpful tutorial. Be sure to register for Connect Plus to get full access to Connect and your eBook.
· Once you login to Connect the first time and pay, you will then be able to access Connect directly from Moodle.
· Contact me by email if you need to use a voucher or pay with cash at the bookstore.
Access to the Course Learning Management System (Free):
Moodle (Course syllabus, grades, materials, directions, links, text videos, discussion board, some assignments, email)
Moodle login information:
Username: (Your regular Cuesta username; Login name matches your my.cuesta login name: firstname_lastname)
Default Moodle Password: Changeme1 (You will be forced to change your password the first time you login. Remember to use at least one capital letter)
Be sure to log in directly from Moodle if myCuesta is down.
You can log into the course on the first day of the semester; you can NOT access the course before the semester starts.
When the semester starts, please log in right away, so that you will not be dropped from the course. Mark your calendars! Starting on day one of the semester, course information will be provided in Moodle. Read the syllabus first!
If you are having technical difficulties with the course or cannot login, contact tech support at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A Moodle Quick Reference is available to students:
Minimum Computer Requirements:
You need a reliable computer (generally no more than 4 years old) and an Internet connection, as well as a Cuesta e-mail account (check your Cuesta email before the beginning of the semester for course updates). Additionally, your computer needs to meet minimum system requirements to run Moodle, the web-based course management program we are using.
You must have a reliable Internet Service Provider (ISP) offering DSL, Cable or Satellite setup.
Here are some additional computer requirements:
· Your computer must have all of the capabilities of viewing YouTube, pdfs, PowerPoints, etc.
· You must use Mozilla Firefox for Connect. The program will not work well with Internet Explorer!
· In order to play any Flashcards on the Course Site, you will need Shockwave Player.
· If you do not have the player installed on your computer, then you will be directed to the Macromedia site automatically. There you will be instructed on the download process.
How to Contact the Instructor:
Accommodations: If you have a disability and might need accommodations in this class, please contact the instructor as soon as possible so that you can receive appropriate accommodations in a timely manner.
· Check your spam if you do not receive a weekly e-mail from me (from Moodle) in your inbox.
· Be sure to read the syllabus on Moodle before beginning the course and submitting the assignments.
· The midterm and final exam are timed-the time runs out. Do not click on the midterm and final until you are ready to take them or your time will run out.
· This class is not a “work-at-your-own-pace” class. You have deadlines each Friday (Wednesday for Final exam). No exceptions are made. Please realize by taking this class you are committing to submitting these regular assignments on time.
FYI: MyCuesta Email Forwarding:
Gmail lets you automatically forward incoming mail to another address. Here's how to forward messages automatically:
Waitlist/Add Code Procedure for Cherie Moore’s DE classes:
1. The automatic waitlist is in effect until 24 hours before class begins.
2. Instructors receive add codes Friday before classes begin.
3. The instructor will give add codes to wait listed students starting Sunday at 12:00 am.
4. The first 10 students who are on the waitlist when notifications close Sunday 12:00 am will be emailed an opportunity to add AND
5. The student must reply to the instructor’s email requesting the add code, using their Cuesta email, BETWEEN Sunday 12:00 am and Monday 12:00 am.
6. The instructor will reply with add codes on Sunday or Monday and enter the student into Moodle. It is the student’s responsibility to access the course at this time; students will not be notified.
7. Students have until Wednesday night (11:59 pm) to enter their add codes or they will be removed from Moodle permanently.
8. ALL students (no matter when they register), will be held to the same deadlines for this class.
9. There are no guarantees for add codes or entry into Moodle outside of the above parameters.
10. Remember that many students can get into this class by the waitlist procedure if they check their email daily; you are given 24 hours to take your spot through the Cuesta College waitlist process.
11. ALL students should have read the Welcome Letter in its entirety prior to enrolling in my DE classes and the course material (Connect Plus) should be purchased online as soon as the student enrolls.
12. Once late add students receive an add code and submit it to become enrolled, students can begin reading the eBook, even if they are waiting to be enrolled into Moodle.