Cuesta College Logo Disabled Student Programs & Services
Cuesta Home Academic Support Center Academic Support Disabled Student Programs & Services Tutorial Services

 Services & Accommodations--FAQ's

How do I receive services from DSPS?
To receive services from DSPS you must be registered or planning to register for the current semester and:
  • complete a DSPS Application for Services;
  • complete a Consent for Release of Information;
  • complete a Verification of Disability Form;
  • provide verification of your disability;
  • meet with a DSPS specialist or counselor to determine eligibility, appropriate services and accommodations; and
  • request the service or accommodation.
What are support services?
Support services are those specialized services available to students with disabilities, which are in addition to the regular services provided to all students. Such services enable students to participate in regular activities, programs and classes offered by the college. (E.g., note takers, readers for the blind, alternative testing).
How do students know what services they need?
After the student’s educational limitations have been identified by appropriate DSPS professional staff or other qualified professional, the DSPS specialist will meet with the student to complete a Student Educational Contract (SEC), which not only lists the educational goals of the students, but identifies the appropriate services to accommodate the educational limitations.
What accommodations and services are available?
Visit the Overview of Services page for an extensive listing.
Are there additional fees for DSPS classes or services?
No, there are no additional fees.
How do I get my book on audiotape?
Review the Taped Text page, fill out and turn in the Taped Text Request form.
How do I get my textbook in other formats, such as electronic text or braille?
Review the Alternate Media Request page, fill out and turn in an Alternate Media Request Form.
Are students with disabilities allowed to tape classes as an accommodation?
Yes. According to the US Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, the tape-recording of classroom sessions as an accommodation for students with disabilities is required under Section 504 of the 1973 Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
How do I make an appointment?
Call us at the SLO Campus at (805) 546-3148, at the NCC Campus at (805) 591-6215 or stop by our office in SLO building 3300 or NCC room N3024.
What does DSPS offer in the summer?
DSPS offers these services in the summer:
  • Registration assistance
  • Alternative testing
  • Notetaking assistance
  • Other accommodation requests evaluated on an individual basis
  • (DSPS courses are not offered in the summer.)
Can I receive services if I have a temporary disability?
Probably. Call the DSPS office for more information.
Are general education and/or major requirements ever waived or altered for students with disabilities?
Under the provisions of Title 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, institutions of higher learning must not exclude a qualified student with a disability from any course of study, and must not establish rules and policies that may adversely affect students with disabilities.

On a case-by-case basis, community colleges may find it necessary to modify requirements in order to accommodate the student’s disability. Modifications might include substitutions or waivers of courses or degree requirements.
Does a college have the right to suspend DSPS services to a student?
Yes, a district may adopt a written policy providing for the suspension  of DSPS services where a student fails to comply with any of the following:
  • be responsible in his/her use of DSPS services and adhere to written service provision policies adopted by the college; and
  • make measurable progress toward the goals established in the Student Educational Contract or, when the student is enrolled in a regular college course, meet academic standards established by the college
Such service suspension policy shall provide for written notice to the student prior to the suspension and shall afford the student an opportunity to appeal the decision. Each student shall be given a copy of this policy upon applying for DSPS services.
These policies and requirements should not differ from those pertaining to all students.
Are Non-disabled students permitted to enroll in special classes?
Yes. Special classes should be open to enrollment to non-disabled students. However, to qualify as a special class, a majority of those enrolled in the class must be students with disabilities.


CAPED Communiqué, Fall/Winter 1994.
DSPS Q & A, Chancellor's Office, May 1993.
DSPS Information Handbook for Cuesta College Staff and Faculty, Aug. 2002.

Return to Top