Textbook Study Method
Surveying a Chapter
Marking Your Text
Marking a Chapter
Effective Textbook Study
Finding the Main Idea
SQ4R Study Formula
- Title & Introductory material or First Sentence
- Subheadings & First Sentence of each subsection
- Last paragraph or Summary
- Boldface print or italics
- Charts, maps, pictures, graphs
- Turn subheadings into questions
- Use questions in introduction or at the end
- Read to answer the above questions
- Read to discover information not pre-questioned
- Make marginal notes of reactions, ideas, details, numbering, question- marks,
etc. as you read.
- Answer the questions either orally or write a summary of the chapter or discuss
- Use your own words as much as possible.
- Check your answers with the text. Revise.
- Compare the new ideas with what you already know. Ask, "Upon what are these new
ideas and information based?" and "How can I use this?"
Return to Top